Wednesday 25 February 2015

EB Griffith

During a lecture we were shown a picture of trees using a slow shutter speed where the trunks were the main focus I really liked this take on photographing nature and trees so I went and researched it some more.
On photographer Griffith's blog he spoke about trying different shutter speeds to capture nature and trees included he used a 1/6 second speed with a medium amount of movement with the camera moving upwards. He spoke about not deviating from the course of the trees otherwise the photo would be a complete blur and there would be no definition.
Here is one of his photos:
Tree Blur - 70mm, 1/6, f/22

With all of this in mind I went try this technique out. I found that as it was a bright day the longer the shutter speed the more over exposed the shot became and then in consequence nothing was in focus. Griffith also mentioned using an upward motion but I found this tricky as I kept having too much sky in my shot and then not enough trees or too much ground and then again not enough tree, so then I tried a downward motion where I had the correct balance. I did find it very difficult to keep the trunks of the trees in focus as I was a long distance away from them so I had to keep changing the aperture and the lens focus to see what worked well. Overall I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with my final shot, I would try and get closer to the trees next time and go on a darker day to try different shutter speeds and make other tree parts in focus and then see how it compares with my original shots. I ended up discarding this photo in my final four also because I felt when I went to re-shoot that I actually did not like these photos in the end and I felt as if I could've done better using a different subject matter however I did learn a lot from taking these photos forever getting the right aperture/ shutter speed when shooting outdoors and ensuring the camera is secure on the tripod. 


Final Shot






Over exposed and out of focus shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment