Wednesday 25 February 2015

Daniel Crooks- Movement


Daniel Crooks filmed a man performing Tai Chi and then replayed it back to get this image which is called Static no.12 (seek stillness in movement) done in 2009-10. I like this photo because I found it really interesting to capture this type of movement in a still image as I have never seen it so clearly done. I enjoy the fact that you can see all of his body in each movement the man performs for example in the second movement you can't see his legs but you can see his body. I also find the image quite natural as Crooks took and image of a man in a park just going about his normal routine rather than bringing someone to a location and telling them to perform Tai Chi. However Crooks did have to rearrange the original movement to create the final photograph which would explain how he created the fluid movement whilst being so clear.



I took inspiration from Crooks by taking a photo of a person moving. In my picture you see somebody jumping in which the movement is captured in the mid air. I feel as if the picture could have been better if I used a longer shutter speed to create a picture of the full movement like Crooks did. I do like my photo however as it has a long depth of field which means the background of the trees are all in focus compared to the movement. If I were to re-take the image again I would shoot it in the dark and use a spot light on the action. This will then allow me to capture the full motion of the jump as well as having the main focus on the movement. I would also ensure that the whole of the girl is in the picture meaning her hand would not be out of shot, this could have easily be done by expanding the tripod but I found it difficult to judge how high she could jump as it varied each time.

I chose this shot over this shot because I felt it captured more of the motion of her movement and it was in better focus. I also liked the shot of the background in the top image over the bottom. 

However I did later decide not to use this picture in my final choice as I felt that the blur in the picture was unprofessional and I felt as if I could do better. I also did not like the fact that the countryside behind the 'jumper' was slanted so therefore I discarded the photo and chose another one to represent earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment