Friday 13 February 2015

Stephanie Gonot

   

When researching modern still life photography I came across Stephanie Gonot's work. I became inspired by the use of colour in her photographs and the way she brought the objects away from their conventional places in life. For example in one of her images she captured cereal spilling around a bowl, but instead of keeping it in a bowl she placed the in grass instead. I  liked this concept because it gave the viewer more to think about when looking at her work and it produced a lasting thought about her work. I also enjoyed her image of jewellery on a concrete style background, this again is an example of taking everyday objects and placing them somewhere you might not expect to find them. The grey of the concrete makes the image almost 3D because it allows the shadows to create a visual where the objects look like they are being pushed upwards which is a enjoyable and creative technique. I also like the fact that this background lets the colours and the shape of the jewellery be prominent which is important when it comes to commercial- still life photography as the picture is there to sell, even though my picture will not be selling anything, it is still important to ensure that the main object of the photo doesn't get lost into the background. Furthermore I found  photograph using the stripy background interesting as I wouldn't have thought about choosing a patterned background, however when I tried to use this idea you could barely see my objects as the background was too over powering; the bike and guitar in her pictures are rather big and this is why her placement works. I was also inspired by the way the objects were placed onto the background; for example they are straight and in normal positions that the objects would be seen in everyday.









 Here is some of my attempts taken from the idea of taking found objects and moving them to a different place where you wouldn't expect to find them. I tried to create my own studio by using a white pillow case which was creased. I kept the creases in the pillow case to add texture like Stephanie Gonot's photo where she had a gravel-like back drop. Her images are also full of colour which, resembles the objects in her pictures such as cereal which is naturally colourful; my objects on the other hand are not naturally colourful so this is why I went for a colour scheme of black and white whereas she enhanced the natural colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment