Sunday 19 April 2015

My Final Photographs

I have looked at many photos within different news papers, and I liked the different approaches that photographers took within these news articles. Some took rather abstract perspectives on a simple stories. All of them however, tried to give the headline a visual story- this may be a positive narrative or negative. 
    With my pictures, I tried to show different angles and perspectives on the headline

'Beachwatch results show reduction in litter left on Suffolk’s shores'  which featured in East Anglian Daily Times in March 2015, for example I wanted to get empty clean beach space and promote the Suffolk shore-line, I also took pictures of  local fishermen enjoying the clean beaches. These photos were all also taken on the same set of coastline but just from different points. I found this interesting as from the photos I have taken do not show the similarity you would expect to see when taking pictures from the same place, as they all have different perspectives and thought-processes behind them.

This photo aims to represent the golden sands of the shore line, and the calmness of the sea. I chose to use a longer shutter speed to try and show the sea moving in a gentle manner. I do, however dislike the grey and dark sky as this does not promote the beaches as most people like to visit the coast on a sunny day.


The photo on the left represents the motion of the sea as it was taken using a slow shutter speed. I like how I captured the yacht in the background, as it makes the whole image more interesting, when taking the image I was worried the yacht might become a blur due to the use of a slow shutter speed, however I think it worked in my favour. I took the picture of the beach huts due to my research. The original image was rather soft due to it being partly out of focus, however in my post-production editing I did make the image sharper and therefore I kept it in my final images. I really like the bright colours of the beach huts, so I did try and boost them to make the image bolder and more vivid. I also wanted to include the sea and the beach in the image just to reinforce the idea that they are based on the beach and part of the rest of my series but keep the huts at the main focus.




I choose this image as I liked the composition of it, the fisherman staring out at the boat. I found it more thought provoking than promotional as he looks like he is in deep thought. This is partly the reason of why I initially changed the image into black and white to enhance the mystery of the photo, however after some deliberation I took the photo out of black and white because it didn't fit with the rest of the photos. This photo does also fit with the headline as it does show some rubbish next to the fisherman, which could show who were the culprates of unclean beaches.


This photo shows another beach in Felixstowe which is right next to the docks where many ships go. I decided to make the blue of the boat stand out more when editing as I thought this may make a good focal point for the image. I also captured fishermen's rods to the eright of the image to make better composition and balance the image. This image is quite dark however which I tried to overcome while editing but then the image became over exposed and too white. Out of the series this is my favourite image as I like the ship in the image because it adds more of a story to the series of images as well as adding variety. 

I wanted to have a simple image in my series which just showed the beach and the sea, a bit like Sugimoto's work. I thought it worked better when there was something stereotypical in the middle of the image such as the shore signs. I did try to make the green of the signs stand out more but this did not work as well as I planned. I think this image would have worked better if it was shot on a brighter day as, the sea and the sky would have blended more evenly like Sugimoto's series, also if I had the time would have liked to left the camera for  a longer period of time to capture the sea's movement and how it changes.

 If I was to re-do this article, I would take a whole different approach to the title. I wouldn't take it so literary, I would like to have more fun with the idea of beach clean-up. For example I would take a picture of a dirty beach and then manually on Photoshop edit all of the rubbish out and replace it with a golden beach or nicer scenery. I feel like this idea would have given my images more variety and would be more thought-provoking and it may even make a difference to beaches- however I do realise that this is a big ask. I would also ask people to get involved with my pictures   and get their views on rubbish on the beaches and then do a spin off on their ideas like Denise Felkin did.  


No comments:

Post a Comment