Thursday 16 April 2015

Hiroshi Sugimoto



Hiroshi Sugimoto is  a Japanese photographer, he has spoken of his work as an expression of ‘time exposed’, which is photographs serving as a time capsule for a series of events in time. His work also focuses on transience of life, and the conflict between life and death.

I looked at his work called 'seascapes' which he produced in the 1980s, the photographs were taken over a period of 3hours roughly each from all corners of the world. I like this series due to the simplicity of each image, as in most of them all you can see is the sea and beach which are represented as different shades of grey. He captured his work on an old-fashioned large-format camera which was then transferred into black-and-white pictures, all exactly the same size, bifurcated exactly in half by the horizon line. I also liked the fact that they are all the same size as then the only thing different about them is just the detailing within the picture itself.

This is one of my favourite photos out of the series as I like the wave movement in the sea, as the colour contrasts with the dark grey clouds on a white background, I also like how the darkness of the edges draws your attention to the sea rather than the beach. Furthermore, I like how the shadows are cast on the sea and how this adds to the original movement I would like to in my series of pictures show the true nature of the sea, and how it can be calm and gentle with subtle wave movements, similar to the movement seen in this photograph.                                                                                                                        
I find this photo very interesting as I like how the colours blend into one at the middle, the sea is almost moving into the middle which adds a thought provoking element to the image. I also like how this image is not as contrasting as the previous image, this is because it is more subtle and there is not as much action within the image. I would like to use this in my series of images because I think it would add more context to the series as well as being more contrasting and diverse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment