Saturday 7 March 2015

Larry Towell- Portraiture

Towell produces images in 2015 from Bangladesh, Savar slum district Dhaka; of families holding a portrait photograph of family members who died in the Rana Plaza garment factory collapse. I found these portraits extremely moving and saddening but I was inspired by his confidence to ask the family members to take their photo with their deceased relative. I also liked the idea of incorporating a photography within a photo. I also admired his use of editing skills to make the overall pictures dimmer  to show loss and nostalgia. I also find the concept of taking photographs of taking pictures of lost  family members interesting as he wanted to show the impact of the factory collapsing not only to the business itself but to the remaining family members. Then he went on to take portraits of nearby factory workers in Dhaka, these images are just as saddening when you know that the nearby factory collapsed and then you see workers at the ages of 11 working in similar conditions.    

The overall project was inspiring as I would like to show the impact of change on people whilst showing their feelings and reactions to this change. I also liked how he incorporated the pictures of the deceased who caused this change in their lives, I would like to incorporate portraits within my project but take a different slant on the style compared to Larry Towell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment