Saturday 7 March 2015

Portrait influence Martin Parr

Whilst researching into portraiture and street photography I came across Martin Parr and ability to capture strangers in a every-day setting. I was inspired by advice he gave about street photography and then I saw it within his own work and then this helped me come up with my own idea.

1. Focus on sets, not individual images
For my set I want to use a museum or an art gallery where I can find portraits of people then take pictures of people in-front of them. This will mean I will have to think about the composition of the set for each photo and think where I can ask people to stand.

2. Make statements about society through your photographs 
For my statement I want to show how society has changed around the individual but that the original form of the human hasn't changed that much over time.  

3. Be obsessive
This means that you should take more than one photography and therefore take loads so that you can choose the best one rather than having to use a rubbish one.

4. Think outside the box
Meaning that the original idea should be something that nobody has tried or someone has but take a different slant on it. From what I have researched I can only find photos of artists stood in front of their work  or pictures of people with famous art work behind them. So therefore I hope this idea is different enough to work.

5. It is rare that you take a good photo
Following on from being obsessive, it is important to try and take as many photos as possible to get the best photo 

6. Find the extraordinary in the ordinary 
this means that by taking a picture which could be in an everyday location, it is your job as the artist to find something unique and different about that photo by for example asking strangers to put their slant on the photo by asking them to get involved.

7. Get Close
Getting close to people puts a different perspective on the photo for example their reaction could change and therefore the overall vibe of the photo might be different. Also by getting close the foreground becomes more dominant over the background and therefore also changing the perspective.

8. Exaggerate your photographs
“Part of the role of photography is to exaggerate”… Martin Parr. He elaborates in another interview: “With photography, I like to create fiction out of reality. I try and do this by taking society’s natural prejudice and giving this a twist.” this means that I will have to create a twist with portrature photography such as taking a single person and putting them in front of a picture of a person.

9. Don’t get people to smile
My aim is not to ask people to smile but just see what their natural reaction is to the camera and see how the react and compare it to different people's reactions.

10. Experiment 
I will experiment with different photos and different people as well as camera settings to create different photos and perspectives 

No comments:

Post a Comment